VIDEO: Trying Under Armour’s MagZip for the first time

by Jen Lee Reeves on August 12, 2014 · 17 comments

in 2014, clothes

It finally arrived, an Under Armour MagZip jacket that I wrote about last fall. Almost the moment Jordan got out of bed this morning, I had her try it for the first time. I didn’t explain how it worked, I just challenged her to give it a try.

I think she likes it. The base of the zipper uses a magnet to connect and it’s pretty easy to get the zipper up. So far, I can only find two youth boys jackets for sale on the Under Armour website. Hopefully they’ll expand the line soon! (UPDATE: That link has more jackets! There are girls jackets and at least one women’s jacket.)

This is what the MagZip looks like.

By the way, Under Armour didn’t pay me to write this post. I paid full price. I have been hungry to try this jacket as soon as I could. I can’t wait for more people to have the chance to use these zippers.

Lewis August 12, 2014 at 10:52 am

I heard about this technology. Hopefully, like Elon Musk, they won’t “hold” the technology away from other manufacturers. I’m going to search for something for Ella now.

Lyn Morales August 12, 2014 at 11:31 am

I would LOVE one of these! Hopefully they will make more!

Jen Lee Reeves August 12, 2014 at 11:39 am

I feel the same way, Lewis!

Tanya August 13, 2014 at 6:44 am

This is great! So they don’t have any in the girl line yet?! I’d love to order one for Parker.

Jen Lee Reeves August 13, 2014 at 8:48 am

There’s only grey and black so far, Tanya. I snagged the grey for Jordan and she LOVES it.

Tanya August 13, 2014 at 8:57 am

I found several girls ones with the magzip! Here are the links:
under the girls:
The big logo full zip- says it has a magnetic zip as well.

Jen Lee Reeves August 13, 2014 at 11:25 pm

Yes!! I’m so glad they’ve added more clothing under the MagZip line!

Diane August 15, 2014 at 11:09 am

Amazing! It is possible to re-invent the wheel! 🙂

Jen Lee Reeves August 15, 2014 at 11:52 am

Right, Diane? It’s so cool.

Susan - ofeverymoment August 17, 2014 at 5:37 pm

Under Armour may not have paid you to write this post, but when they see it, I think they will realize they have found the perfect person to model their product! Jordan looks beautiful in it – and who could resist that smile!

Jen Lee Reeves August 18, 2014 at 6:40 am

Thank you, Susan! That’s very kind.

Riann March 13, 2015 at 1:46 pm

I’m a (female) above-elbow arm amputee, who found this site after ordering my own MagZip coat. I wasn’t born with my amputation, like Jordan, but have been living with it for about a decade. Since my accident I have started/finished my Masters degree, got a job as an instructor at the local university, had a rambunctious son, and started volunteering as a coach at an adapted skiing program. I think I’m leading a fairly successful life “single handedly” as I like to say (although my husband and family have been fabulous support). If Jordan would like to contact me, or ask me any questions, feel free to contact me.

Jen Lee Reeves March 19, 2015 at 1:05 am

Thank you SO MUCH Riann! I really appreciate it.

Jeff Hatfield September 29, 2015 at 12:57 pm

I had a severe stroke and found out about MagZip when it was still in development and was exclusively licensed to Under Armour. I just ordered 2 for a spring and a winter jacket. Having a seamstress replace the zippers when they arrive. Thank you for making individual zippers available for purchase !!!

Jeff Hatfield October 22, 2015 at 2:31 pm

So I now have my jackets with the MagZips installed. It took a little practice with my North Face jacket but now it’s easy. I posted on my Facebook page that I’d recommend MagZips to anyone with disabilities along with a link to the DNS LLC website. Thanks again for making individual zippers available for purchase !!!

Jen Lee Reeves October 25, 2015 at 10:55 pm